Do you know what my favourite cake is? Banana cake. Do you know what my favourite thing with bananas is? Nutella. Do you know what is exactly one week away? World Nutella Day!
Okay, no more questions. This blog is about baking, not about pop quizzes! As I was saying, World Nutella Day is one of my favourite days of the year (after my anniversary and Bonfire Night), so I’ve created this recipe to celebrate. It’s your standard banana cake but with a magical swirl of Nutella running through it.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) butter
- 150g (5 1/3 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, beaten (I must confess, I forgot to put my egg in. But it still turned out delicious- just slightly more dense! So you if you are baking for anyone will an egg allergy, just leave the egg out.)
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 190g (6 3/4 oz) self-raising flour (Thank God for self-raising, otherwise the egg incident would have been a disaster!)
- 60ml (2 fl oz) milk
- 1 tsp demerara sugar (optional)
- 4-5 tsp of Nutella (or as much as you can bear to part with!!)
- Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan (340°F/ 300°F). Grease and line a 900g (2 lbs) loaf tin.
- In a bowl, mash the bananas.
- Melt the butter, sugar and vanilla in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the mixture to the bananas and stir well.
- Add the eggs (or not!) and stir.
- Stir in the flour and the milk.
- Heat the Nutella (either in the microwave or in a bowl above boiling water) until it is mixable. Then in a separate bowl, mix the Nutella with about 1/3 of your cake batter.
- Pour in alternate splodges of normal batter and Nutella batter in your prepared loaf tin. Now here comes the fun part! Using a knife, swirl the two mixtures together until you get a pretty marble pattern. Do not overmix! Or your cake is just going to be brown.
- If you want, sprinkle on top the demerara sugar to give the cake a crunchy topping.
- Bake the cake for 35-45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool then serve.
If you are feeling really indulgent, why not add in some chocolate chips? If you tried this recipe or have your own Nutella Day recipe, please comment and share below my fellow Nutella Lover.